Are you a new book blogger? New Books for New Bloggers is for you!
(new bloggers have blogs that opened in the last 6 months and under 50 followers)

Review: Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler



Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler
September Spectacular Review #3

Release Date: January 7, 2010
Library Borrow Date: September 4, 2010
Publisher: Speak
Pages: 352
Reading level: Young Adult
My Rating:


It starts with a phone call. "I'm dying," avoice tells Dusty.

Who is he and how did he get her phone number? Dusty wants no part of this strange boy ... until he begins saying things that only someone who knows her intimately could say. And saying things that lead her to think he knows the whereabouts of her brother, who disappeared over two years ago. Suddenly drawn in, Dusty very much wants to save this boy. Trouble is, she cannot find him - he won't let himself be found. He is too dangerous, he says. There are mobs of people who agree and who want to see this boy disappear ... and who will hurt anyone who stands in their way.

I loved this book. It took me a little while to come around to that and actually really read it - I kept borrowing it from the library, reading a little and losing interest, then returning it. Only to borrow it again a week later because it was haunting me. So now that I've finally read it I have to say I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in odd, ambient novels that make you just wonder.


I wasn't totally in love with Dusty, if I'm honest. At times she seems terse and a little bratty but there's just something about her and her need to find this boy, her need to find out what he may or may not know about her brother, that really tugged at me. The rest of the characters served their purpose but they didn't really zip off the page.


There was an awful lot of dialogue, something I know some don't particularly appreciate, but I do. I like when the plot is forwarded in how the characters talk to each other rather than in pages and pages of what they're doing instead. I have to say that I really loved the way Bowler used the words he chose. His writing style is magnificent and in spite of some of the shortcomings of the book (I had to re-read the ending a couple times before it really sank in what happened which isn't usual for me) his style was what bumped this up from a 3 star to a 4.


Definitely get to the bookstore or the library and pick this one up.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your blog on the September Spectacular site and thought I'd stop by to say hello. Thanks for a great review, I really love the cover of this book. Anyway, nice to have met you, I've enjoyed visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...